Monday 16 May 2011

The Cricket Season Begins

The so called summer has finally arrived. Nothing to go bonkers about but it is relatively warmer and sun stays up a bit more longer to catch a glimpse of the drunk teenage girls with low necklines trying to fit into shorts atleast two sizes smaller. The only upside is that fake tan season is over and everyone is fortunate to not catch a glimpse of the cheap spray tan dripping from the legs. Oh wait !!!! Did I mention about the beer. Its also time to get some lager or ale sloshing in your tummies.

Among all of these, the cricket season has started again. Strathclyde has got off to a good start this season and I hope they take it 1 step further this time. I on the other hand, was itching to pick up some English Willow and start playing those Kallis like drives, Uthappa like reverse sweeps and McCullum like scoops. I know I know, I have been bragging quite a bit but I'm also being honest in saying that I'm really not looking forward to getting out LBW as a result of my poor footwork.

Polloc is an awesome club to play cricket with a wonderful turf wicket right in the middle of a national park, the entrance to which reminds me so much of Orange county in Coorg. The first couple of practice sessions were quite painful. Got hit on my thighs a couple of times as a result of my bad footwork and more importantly the ಕೊಬ್ಬು of not wearing thigh pads. The worst of the lot was when I got hit on my chin taking a high catch as a result of not wearing Ramesh Powar like goggles. Damn I missed the Karbon Kamaal Katch award!! 30ml of blood, a long wait in the hospital and a couple of stitches later I was back on the field again.

For some reason there is new found sweet spot in my bowling. Guess people who have played with me know my weakness of bowling down the leg side just like Agarkar bowls short balls wide outside the off stump. But now suddenly I've started to bowl a lot of bouncers and out swingers. I know its all a fluke but I just wana see how long it lasts. Oh wait, as a result of this luck/talent/ಗೆರೆ or whatever you can call it, I've got a look in for a cup match tomorrow.

Hope to crack a few 6s or atleast bowl a few toe crushers. Aaaah...Just being a blabbering optimist now. Frankly speaking, just hope I don't have to get stitched up yet again !!!

3 comments:

  1. I remember you bowling those god-awful slow "non-turners" to me down the leg side . You bowled a string of wides & then when you actually produced one on the wickets , the ball developed a puncture and never reached my bat !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @mouna - Will get to know after today :)
    @Shetty - Don't 4get that u wer my bunny. No more offies now, its full on pace!!

    ReplyDelete