Friday 8 October 2010

Life at a flyover junction

I have been very fascinated with the way the flyovers at Hebbal and Indiranagar have been constructed. They not only succeed in confusing a first timer but also meddle with their sense of direction. One either heads north to turn east or heads west and completes a loop to turn south thus making them a visual treat from Google maps but not before leading many people in the wrong way. The ones who planned both of them were very close in constructing a paradox or sending the vehicles to a state of limbo. When you are at crossroads, it is easy to see the path in front of you but when you are at this kind of a flyover junction, even though you eventually see your future path, it is the direction that you take that matters. You might want to trust your gut feeling and risk everything or take a leaf out of a wild stranger's book who made you read that book in the first place.

Everyone at some point in their lives go through this phase and I never thought it was going to happen to me so soon. One of these roads is of a career change in which even though I know which road I want to get on, deep down I know that I have to take some calculated risks. This loop also has small deviations in terms of the "salary slip" and "geographic location". Even though I have got on this road at least 150 times over the last 6 months and got off, I'm very sure the D-day to complete it is fast approaching. There is another route which threatens my existence in a particular country. My choice ahead is to either let the "visa power" run out or extend in asap thus jeopardizing my monthly quota in my savings for Nando's chicken and other censored worldly pleasures.

One of the most important roads in this junction is regarding companionship and its intricate details. Even though I would like to sound like a pessimist and say that I don't intend to exchange rings more than once in my lifetime and have also zeroed in on that unfortunate innocent creature, it actually gets more complicated than you can think. Suddenly movies like "Meet The Parents" and "Meet The Fockers" look more like a horror or in the best case, a thriller family drama rather than a funny comedy movie. Even though I can't imagine my dad to look or act anything like Dustin Hoffman, he has only started to remind me more of Don Vito Corleone. He recently made me an offer that I couldn't refuse and am only hoping for "Aal Izzz Well" at the end of it. One day you are a student with the only aim being to see the clock tick 10 so that you can just about make it to the cheaper morning show in a theater. The next day before you even realize what happened, you find yourself in a flyover junction with hundreds of vehicles honking and whistling past you with not much time to make your decision. Even though I know that the journey is going to be tough, I have made mine, have you? Do it before it is too late and at give your heart a chance to do all the thinking.

2 comments:

  1. I know i ain't the first one to tell you this, and i even know my words will be the last ones you'll want to put your money on .. But hey, i have been at the same flyover-of-confusion (just a little before you did), so i know how it feels.

    Firstly, on the mind vs heart issue (i guess referring to your profession), take the middle path, its called "The Calculated Risk". I guess i don't need to tell you more about it. You are an engineer , do the math, calculate the risk.

    Secondly , on the slightly more *AHEM* complicated issue, be brave & hope for the best. Nothing more i can say on it. I took the hard path & you where i am now. So , Go for it.

    Call when free, ENJOY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nando's chicken and other censored worldly pleasures - Nice!

    I don't intend to exchange rings more than once in my lifetime and have also zeroed in on that unfortunate innocent creature, it actually gets more complicated than you can think - WTF!!!!!

    ReplyDelete