Monday 22 November 2010

November and Movember

The winter has started to set in and the use of heaters look imminent. Even though everyone is just getting warmed up to the cold winter, tap water has become the biggest nemesis. As a result of washing my hands or dishes in this water, my hands literally stay stone cold throughout the day. 


Gone are those days when I could use my pick up line "Hi, How are you? Beware of my irresistibly warm hands". Then again, I was never good at this and always managed to dodge all the projectiles thrown at me in return for those kind of lines. I'm more like a Ross from Friends when it comes to pick up lines or starting conversations but would rather induce a Chandler like humor rather than Dinosaurs.

Its that time of the year when the day light saving really starts to sink in to your senses.  You start to wonder if the daylight is actually being saved or spent mercilessly. November is also the time when there are more leaves on the sidewalk than on the trees. The trees look like they are suffering from a receding hairline problem or male pattern baldness. January is probably the worst here when it gets dark by noon on gloomy days. Guess I have to blame my birthday for it. Boo hoo.

I love the winter for its foggy nights and fresh snowfall which gives me a reason to down a couple of extra drinks. But its quite depressing when 17:00 feels like 21:00 and the melting snow tests your figure skating skills. Not to mention the North winds blowing at 70mph which mercilessly torture your face. I vaguely mentioned this in 365 days of life on an island - part 1 .

I still remember last winter when I had lost sensation in my toes and the temperature went down to as low as -13°C in Glasgow. Felt like the winter was never going to end. In spite of such inhuman conditions, I've seen the girls here walking around in the skimpiest of the clothes. Not that I'm complaining but it just makes you wonder whether they are really from Venus. 


Gone are those days when men used to walk bare chested to strut their manliness in front of women clad in figure hugging dresses. The roles seem to have just reversed nowadays. The sight of guys parading in their skinny jeans and brushing the hair off from their faces is as disgusting as rubbing your face in faeces. Whatever happened to hairy men with unshaven faces and protruding paunches. Guess, I'm doing my bit to save the old generation. 

Its time for me to make some coffee, oh wait....think making it Irish will not only enhance the taste of coffee but also does justice to the weather. Well, the chill outside gives you more than a reason to keep yourself warm inside.    


P.S  - Thinking of growing a moustache to show my support for Movember in both November and December.

No comments:

Post a Comment