Wednesday 10 November 2010

Oh my tweety

"A little birdie told me". This line has been used over ages by gossip mongers and also as a conversation starter by many women in order dig into some intricate details about their friends. I have always wondered the origin of that phrase and couldn't get my head around birds actually spying into our private lives, filtering out the swill and flapping its wings around only the spiciest topics. It might be a grave coincidence that the phrase suits the current state of affairs better than ever. The little birdie of Twitter has suddenly become an integral part of our lives. People tell this birdie everything from taking a dump to planning a surprise proposal for their girlfriends/boyfriends. So for the first time in history, a bird has taken control over mankind and what looks more like a humming bird looks more powerful than a falcon or a vulture.

I personally couldn't understand the fun in changing status messages and posting updates of 140 characters. But like many things in life, Twitter has become an acquired taste and I have started to experience the power of tweeting. With more and more companies devoting a lot of resources into looking after the social media end of their business, effective use of twitter can not only serve as a channel in resolving customer related issues but can also boost their PR activities. I recently experienced a similar situation when my Virgin Media broadband went for a toss and the call centres were not responding and a simple tweet directed towards them attracted all the necessary attention prefixed with apologies. Twitter has also provided the celebs their own personal space amidst the soul sucking paparazzi. I have started following a few of them and have realized how dumb so many are in real life. If not for their celebrity status many of them would have probably had to resort to the 'girlfriend experience' rather than a girlfriend. 

I was very impressed with videos featuring @BarackObama in which he talks about thinking twice before posting anything. Very soon we might see safe social media classes replacing safe sex classes in schools. I also stumbled upon a software from Webroot which prevents users from logging into their social networking accounts when they are drunk. How cool is that? For more information on it, check this out http://tinyurl.com/2bcf9jh . I would like to sincerely warn everyone about the power of social media and in this case, twitter. Once tweeted, can only be retweeted and not untweeted. So, tweeting that you had a crazy rave party and woke up with an unknown guy might make you popular and increase the number of followers but the same can bite you in your crack when your clients end up cancelling a contract as a result of it. As this post was entirely dedicated to the overzealous birdie, I have decided to add a tweet button to all of my posts. 

I can also be followed @VikasGowda20.

No comments:

Post a Comment