Monday 7 March 2011

"All that we see is all that we think about"

I've fallen off the taxpaying wagon, yet again. Even though there is a chuckle inside me for not paying tax, there is a frown as well because my bank balance is going south. I sit in my room and have strategically placed everything within  my arm's reach, right from food to drink and beer to its proud counterpart, the beer belly. These days have been pretty good as I have had a lot of time on my hands to just relax and unwind, but I'm sure the tipping point for this is just around the corner. While all my efforts to turn myself  into the sarcastic "House" by watching him have gone in vain, I've definitely stumbled upon some really good soundtracks. Before you continue reading this post, I urge you to play the below video, keep the sound to a soothing level and just enjoy the music.


This song actually made me look and think about things that I had not wondered much about. All that we see is all that we think about is true on so many different levels. There is no doubt that we worry about or get influenced by things that we see and experience in our day to day lives.

We curse the government and everyone involved when our cars hit the potholes or skid off a slippery surface or just about anytime when the roads are bad. How often do we think about those workers who get the asphalt ready and mix it with gravel and ultimately get the road repaired overnight. We forget that there was even a pothole in that place as we no longer get "ditched". We take overnight buses to travel to far off places but forget to even thank the drivers who have taken us safely to our destinations. Its a fact that people who work during the nights(negate the call centre blokes) and sleep during daytime have totally changed their biological clocks and are only going to affect their health in the long run.


We take interest in the quality of drinking water or environmental conditions only when someone dies. We hardly think about people under the poverty line until and unless some viral video or campaign comes out. None of us even bothered about Egypt or Libya before Mubarak or Gaddafi  came under the hammer. 

Keeping the world news aside, even on the personal front we always try to play to our strengths and bask in them rather than exploring our weaknesses and digging deep inside ourselves, thus creating a barrier between what we want to see and project ourself as and what we don't even want to tickle. The latter is always considered as a sleeping, fire breathing dragon and we are always scared to wake it up. But then again during some situations, this dragon not only wakes up but starts breathing fire from all possible orifices and thats when we crumble and thats when we fail the acid test.

Thus, I honestly believe that we should spare some time to think about things that we do not do often or explore things that are totally outside our comfort zones. Not only will we be more thankful for the lives we are leading instead of saying "why is everything happening to only me", but we will also be able to grow as a person and bring about a change.


P.S - I know I know, its been one of those philosophical, preaching, aka #KillMeNow kinda posts, but I cant help it. Someone get me back on the payroll, and I promise to stop writing on these kind of topics (wink).

No comments:

Post a Comment