Friday 17 September 2010

Do you smell what I'm cooking?

Its been almost a year since I left India and boarded a very congested and uncomfortable British Airways flight to Glasgow. The anniversary special will be covered in a different post before I make a short trip back to  ನಮ್ಮ  ಬೆಂಗಳೂರು . My bags were packed with all the wanted an unwanted kitchen utensils and all possible cooking ingredients and other powders of different colors and smells. Even today, I recognize them only by their colors and not by the actual ingredients in them.

I still remember the hype that was given to cooking before I left. I was taught and made to execute some of the basic dishes as a test and failing in it only meant that I couldn't survive here. In fact a lot of hype has been given to cooking in our culture and potential brides are supposed to have this prerequisite or a so called qualification or competency listed on their CVs when the grooms come for a one on one (Well this "one on one" is actually done with the elders' supervision with everyone anxiously waiting for the outcome and is often the one that happens on the first visit and not on the first night :D). Even though it is now getting tempting to deviate from the topic, I shall pull myself back onto the right track. 

Survival of the fittest is probably the best phrase to use and one has to learn to cook or cook up a good story not to cook, either way has to end up cooking to survive in this open world. I have seen a lot of updates on FaceBook and on the prehistoric social networking site we all used to use called as Orkut, regarding updates by wives cooking dishes for their hubbies. Even though I totally respect the love and the sweetness behind those gestures, I have now realized that cooking is probably one of the most enjoyable and easiest things to do. I wouldn't want to sound like a person blowing his own trumpet but these are some of the dishes that I have involved in over the past year.

Vegetable Sambar
Rasam
ಕಾಲು ಸಾರು
Chilli Mushroom
Mushroom curry 
Chilli Paneer
Panner Butter Masala
Veg Dopiaza
Kadai Vegetables 
Puliyogre
Raajma 
Channa Batoora/Poori
Kofta
Dosa Chutney
Lime Rice
Upma
Jeera  Rice
Capsicum Rice
Egg Fried Rice
Numerous ಪಲ್ಲ್ಯ s involving all sorts of vegetables
Palak Paneer
Aloo Palak
Veg Biriyani
Egg Biriyani
Egg Curry
Pasta
Spaghetti

Chilli Chicken
Chicken Curry
Lamb Curry
Beef Curry
Beef Olathiyathu
Butter Chicken
Kadai Chicken
Red Chicken
Hyderabadi Chicken
Pudina Chicken
Coriander Chicken
Chicken Chops
Methi Chicken
Kheema balls curry
Chicken Biriyani (2 variations)
Lamb Biriyani
Fish Fry

Butter Chicken

I might have probably missed out on some but these are the ones that spring to my mind. Even though I used to get help from Silent while cooking some of the dishes, at the end of the day I turned out to be just fine. I feel cooking is a great stress buster as well and if at all you hate someone, call them home and serve them a dish with 10 chillies and when they run to the toilet, make sure you have not only removed the toilet paper but also the flush tank doesn't work. I can guarantee you that a revenge like this will be very smelly and I advise you to keep a room freshener by your side.

People who have eaten my dishes can second me on the fact that I'm really a very good cook. Even though I have cooked all of the ones mentioned previously, I call every one of my dishes as "Yummy dish". It is not only because it is yummy but also if it is not, it will still be yummy. For all those wannabe brides or newly married girls, cooking is actually easier than "faking it" in the bed and for all those who have already tried it , well you do know what I'm talking about. For all those cooking virgins, you have no idea what you are missing out on and I sincerely suggest you to take it up even if it is just as a hobby. From Gordon Ramsay to Sanjeev Kapoor and from vah-chef to the roadside chatwalas, men have always been the best chefs and if at all you want to prove your manhood to your wifes/girlfriends/boyfriends, try cooking them a tasty aromatic dish of your choice and let me know of its outcome :).

2 comments:

  1. maga open a multi-cuisine restaurant :P olle business agutte :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree u really cook wel bt stop blowin ur own trumpet so much :p he he....
    glad 2 c u didnt 4get ur guru otherwise wud hav got a kick ;) :p

    ReplyDelete